I've asked a number of experts on the top 10 tips they'd give to novice hunters. The best deer hunting tips, like most great advice, seem obvious but are constantly overlooked. Even the best hunter can benefit from reminding himself about the fundamentals. Let me know what you think!
1. Watch the wind
- Deer have an incredible sense of smell, so you want to minimize your scent. There are ways of reducing your scent, but the most effective way is to be downwind from your prey.
2. Be still
- There is some debate over whether deer are color-blind, but there is no debate that deer detect movement. Stay still.
3. Be quiet
-Deers hear. Enough said.
4. Learn all you can about the animal you are hunting
- Animals have predictable behaviour: they eat, sleep, drink... research the details of your animal for a more fulfilling and effective hunt.
5. Don't be afraid to ask people more knowledgable than you questions
- Hunting is a journey. Hunters with more experience can give great advice to put you on the right track. You'll be surprised how friendly people are when you are genuinely interested in what they have to say.
6. Learn to use your firearm or bow effectively
- Practice makes perfect. Learn your weapon's limitations and how to use it safely
7. Attend a hunter safety course
-Contact your local fish and wildlife department
8. Spend as much time as you can out hunting
-And practice makes perfect again
9. Expect mistakes, and learn from them
10. Wear a safety harness each and every time you climb a tree
- Safety first